Sunday, November 8, 2009

Revising and Using the TRE Parent Blog for Parent Communication

Dear Parents,
I realize many of you will not see this post until much later since I will not get an announcement out regarding the revision of the TRE Parent Blog until the December issue of Tiger Tales. But, I wanted to go ahead and start posts since I plan to put an announcement on the homepage of our school website and we do have many parents who check that from time to time. Many of you know that educational technology is not only an interest to me but is one of my passions. The unfortunate thing about being a building principal is that the everyday demands of running the school often do not allow me the time to get down to the computer lab in our school and update my website page on our TRE website. This has been very perplexing to me as I feel that the 24/7 access by parents to our website provides a convenient way to hear updates and information from me as the principal. But, my ability to access and update my webpage has limited my ability to do it from our computer lab where the computer is located that allows me to do this. Then, just this past week, it hit me that I could make use of something I created for parents to get to know me when I first arrived over a year ago… the TRE Parent Blog! I can’t believe I didn’t think of this sooner. By making use of the parent blog I can create a link on my announcements page on the home page of our website and also I have the ability to edit and post information to parents without having to be at school and in the computer lab. I have also put an RSS feed on the parent blog so those of you who use RSS can have any updated posts from me sent directly to your computer without having to check our website or my parent blog. I will plan to put an announcement on the website this coming week at school and then also have an announcement in my upcoming December issue of Tiger Tales. The TRE Parent Blog will provide me a better opportunity to keep all of our parents up-to-date with current information about our school. I am very excited about this and hope you find it beneficial as I make use of this great communication tool. All for now…

Mr. Harris